Try a fountain pen to liven up your writing!
If you are looking for a pen to start with, these pens are tried and true. They are modestly priced, good quality, fun to use and easy to maintain. They all come in multiple colors, and have steel nibs.
Patronize your local pen shops! In Boulder? You can find these pens at Two Hands Paperie. If you don’t live near a pen shop, follow the links.
- Kaweco Sport. Small plastic pen from Germany, with selection of nib options, including extra fine, fine, medium, broad and calligraphy. Easy to switch nibs if you want to use more than one size. International standard cartridge only.
- Lamy Safari, Al-Star or Vista. Lamys include both plastic and metal models. These German pens are available with extra fine, fine, medium, broad nibs. Lamy also makes the Joy, a calligraphy pen. Lamys come with a converter and sample cartridge. Lamys use a proprietary cartridge.
- Pilot Metropolitan. The Metropolitan has a metal body. Japanese nib options include fine, medium, medium italic. The pen comes come with a squeeze converter and sample cartridge. It uses a proprietary cartridge.
- Pilot Kakuno. The Kakuno has a plastic body. Japanese nib options include extra fine, fine, or medium. It uses a proprietary cartridge; converter is sold separately.
Two of these pens are from Germany, and two are from Japan. Here are some writing examples on Baron Fig paper. As you can see, the Japanese Pilot nibs are considerably finer than the German Lamy nibs. The choice is one of personal preference.
Related blog post:
Academic Writing with Pen in Hand. A blog post about my hybrid digital/analog writing style.
Resources and Guides:
- Fountain Pen Network: Discussion forums with knowledgeable fountain pen geeks who will actually answer your questions!
- JetPens Blog and Guides: Detailed reviews and comparisons between various pen-related products. See How to Write with a Fountain Pen. JetPens specializes in Japanese pens.
- Goulet Pens Blog and YouTube Video Demos: More about pens and techniques. Brian Goulet does an excellent job with detailed show-and-tell videos. See: 5 Tips to Improve Your Handwriting with Fountain Pens.
- S.B.R.E Brown: Detailed YouTube video pen reviews. He’s very knowledgeable about a wide range of pen brands and style.
- The Postman Knocks: Calligraphy lessons, videos, and worksheets (Boulder-based business!)
Save the Date: Join Hands-On Fountain Pens at Two Hands Paperie in Boulder, November 15, 2019. Registration will be online early fall.
Keep in touch! Subscribe to this occasional, no-spam DIY Creative email list: