Stuck at home? Maybe you need some DIY art therapy!
For some of us, this is a time of unusual solitude, without our usual interactions with people at work, community, and social events. For others, it is a time of intense family presence, with partners and children home from jobs and school. Art making can help us deal with stress and disruption while we all try to get through this pandemic crisis. At the same time, face-to-face classes and workshops are suspended. To help you get through and come out stronger, I am offering online classes. Non-artists are welcome!
We’ll explore ways to document and imagine life in this moment:
- Art and expressive journals with techniques and encouragement to paint, draw, collage, and write (handwritten or typed, printed and pasted into the journal.)
- Fountain pens that make everyday writing a creative experience.
Register for Autumn 2020 Online Classes:
If you want to journal, there are two class options. Mindful Expression will be more focused on writing, with drawing and painting to add visual expressions. Art Journals will be more focused on drawing and painting, with writing to explain or record ideas.
Register here for 10/22/20 – 11/05/20
Weekly – Thursday 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM
Journaling offers an opportunity to think and reflect, observe and document. In difficult and fast-changing times, journaling gives us a way to be mindful of the present moment, make sense of what is going on—or take a little escape from it all! In this class we will learn and use both written and artistic journaling styles. During three Zoom meetings you will see examples and learn new techniques. We’ll share ideas and work in progress. Between classes you can use daily prompts as a jumping-off point for your own interpretation, and respond using words and/or pictures. No experience or artistic skills are needed.
Register here 10/21/2020 – 11/4/2020
Weekly – Wednesday 3:00 PM- 5:00 PM
Art making can help you deal with stress and disruption while we all get through these challenging times. To help cope, please join us by creating an art journal. Explore ways to document, reflect and imagine life at this moment by journaling! Interactive online sessions will include drawing and painting techniques using watercolor pencils, project ideas for your journals, writing and drawing prompts, and time for questions. Sessions will also be recorded for viewing at your convenience. In between sessions, we will exchange ideas and share work via email.
You can one, or both!
If you want to take both journaling classes you can schedule them in either sequence:
- Mindful Expression, then Art Journals
9/30/2020 – 11/4/2020
10 AM – 12 PM Mountain Time
- Art Journals, then Mindful Expression
10/1/2020 – 11/5/2020
3 PM – 5 PM Mountain Time
Hands-On Fountain Pens
2 PM – 4 PM
Note: Pen and paper are included in the registration fee for this class.
Classes will feature:
- Interactive online sessions: I’ll offer instruction, project ideas, and time for questions. While you can work on cards and journals and view meeting recordings at your convenience, the live sessions will give us a chance to get acquainted, chat, exchange ideas, and reduce isolation.
- Exchange and support: Meet class members and view each other’s work in a friendly, non-critical environment. Multi-session classes include a group email list with shared resources, examples, and prompts.
- Detailed handouts: How-to guides for use during and after the class.
- Supplies: If you have art supplies, you can use them creatively! However, please make sure you have the essential supplies. See lists below. If you are local to Boulder, CO you can visit Two Hands Paperie. If you order supplies online, keep in mind delivery times are also slower than usual.
Art Journal Supply List
Suggested supplies include:
- Watercolor pencils
- Drawing pencils and gum eraser
- Water brush
- Fine-line pen(s)
- Glue or paste for collage
- Journal (choose one that is watercolor or multimedia paper, at least 90 lbs.)