Join me for a free seminar, with a forum discussion and webinar. Register here.
The webinar recording is online and available for Textbook & Academic Authors Association members. Not a member? Join this vibrant community!
In the webinar I discussed creating podcasts, communicating visually, and creating a cross-platform strategy.
Here are some resources related to topics covered and questions raised in the webinar:
- Infographics and Visuals
- For more about creative representations of research findings, see Chapter 9 in Digital Tools for Qualitative Research by Paulus, Lester, and Dempster.
- For more on creating a cross-platform strategy in conjunction with text or academic publishing, consider taking the Create Your Publication Strategy (TAA members receive a $25 discount.
Here are some resources in response to questions posed in the discussion.
- Using Twitter lists:
- Dealing with hate on social media:
Online resources and books about social media and academic life:
- 101 Twitter Guide for Academics and author’s blog, The Online Academic
- THE A to Z of Social Media for Academia
- Harvard Business Review: How Academics and Researchers Can Get More Out of Social Media
- Social Media for Academics by Mark Carrigan, author’s blog: http://sociologicalimagination.org/
- Social Media in Academia: Networked Scholars by George Veletsianos, author’s blog: http://www.veletsianos.com/ . Listen to a Research in Action podcast with the author.
Resources for TAA Members:
- Tips and Techniques for Enhancing Your Approach to Visuals webinar, register now! Listen to recorded webinars.
Writers, think beyond Academic Writing Month to the 2017 calendar & writing events! See the Text and Academic Authors Association webinars: http://bit.ly/2fJljTq
- Six Strategies for Using Social Media to Promote Your Writing Wednesday, January 25, 3-4 p.m. ET
- Texts Plus: Ancillary Materials & Companion Sites Monday, April 24, 3-4 p.m. ET
Not a member? Reasonable membership fees allow access to community of writers, resources on book contracts, and of course free webinars! https://taaa.memberclicks.net/member-benefits
You spent a lot of time researching and writing a thesis, dissertation, or capstone project. How can you convert your academic work into a career asset? Registration is open for the course starting February 13, 2017!
Everyone knows we should publish something based on the dissertation- but where to start? While some people are on a scholarly track and want to publish in peer-reviewed journals, others would benefit from publishing practical guides or how-to manuals. These events will offer ideas and strategies for a wide range of publication options that align with career goals.
What are the best options for you, and how can you turn your aspirations into reality? If you want to walk the Path to Publishing, but need a plan, this 6-week course is designed for you! We’ll be with you every step of the way, with two live webinars, discussions, and constructive suggestions about how to improve your writing and maximise your chances of publication. You will work through weekly lessons and exercises, and generate a publication strategy. Learn more and register here!
Visit Helen Kara’s blog for more about the course and our collaboration!
Go on the (Virtual) Road to Promote Your Book
TAA Blog post: 6 Key takeaways from the TAA webinar, ‘Go on the (Virtual) Road to Promote Your Book.’ The recording is online in the member resources. If you are an academic writer, consider joining!
Whether you are self-publishing or working with a major publisher, you will need to actively promote your textbooks and encourage faculty to adopt them. Traditionally, writers have taken book tours and given talks, but textbook publishers are unlikely to fund world travel. Why not offer a book tour online? With the Doing Qualitative Research Online Virtual Book Tour I did just that. While some “virtual book tours” simply place guest posts or advertisements on potential readers’ sites, my highly interactive approach includes webinars and online discussions with groups or classes. In this one-hour webinar, I will share tales from the virtual road and steps you can take to launch your own tour.